Making a Difference in the life of the child you sponsor:
As a Project 82 Kenya child sponsor, you support helps to ease the financial burden for guardians so that they can focus on making the child feel like a welcome addition to the family rather than an unwanted burden. For a child who has lost their parent(s) prematurely, and often tragically, the environment in the home he or she will transition can greatly influence what his or her future looks like.
Your relationship as a child’s sponsor can greatly influence his or her future, as you have opportunities to encourage your sponsored child and to play a role in his or her social development. You can help your sponsored child develop a sense of confidence and self worth through the love and encouragement you express through writing him or her a letter.
There are many ways for you to connect with and encourage your sponsored child as you join a community of family, pastors, teachers and friends all coming together to make evident God’s perfect love for that child. You may choose to travel to Kenya with Project 82 on a short-term mission trip and meet your child face to face. Imagine that child’s excitement when a sponsor travels all the way to Kenya to meet him or her.
We deliver letters to the children twice each year, during the June and November trips. We encourage you to write your child. This will help you develop a relationship with your sponsored child and let your child know that you really are interested in how he or she is doing.
Tips for Corresponding with your Sponsored Child:
- Keep it simple and clear so that your child won’t have a problem understanding what you are trying to communicate.
- Use the form below to type a letter to your child.
- Be sensitive to your child’s culture. Avoid mentioning material things or money that might make your child feel inadequate.
- Tell about yourself. Share about your family, activities, church, interests, etc.
- Describe the geographical area of where your live, i.e., culture, weather, etc.
- Explain American holidays or traditions that your child may be unfamiliar with.
- Ask questions about your child’s friends, interests, activities. You may be surprised to find all you have in common.
- Talk to your child about your relationship with Jesus. Send Bible verses that encourage you.
- Encourage your child in school, spiritual development and in whatever they are currently pursuing. Let them know you are praying for them in all things.
- Let your child know they are loved, and that you are praying for them. Give them lots of encouragement.
May I send something to my child?
For the November Mail Call, we are asking that only letters be sent to the children.
Gifts that will fit into a manila size envelope may be sent during the June Mail Call.
Will I get a letter back from my child?
You will receive a letter from your sponsored child in return. The Kenya staff assist the younger children who do not read and write yet in letter writing and translating.
When are letters due? How do I send them?
Letters are due on or before September 28th for the November Trip. Please check social media, and read the eBlasts for reminders and more communications about exact dates for each trip.
You can use the form below to email a letter to your sponsored child. You may also write a traditional letter. Letters may be mailed to Project 82 Kenya, P O Box 680003, Marietta GA 30068; emailed to email@example.com or dropped off at the P82 office located on the Mt. Bethel UMC campus. There will be a drop box outside the office starting about a month before letters are due.
If you have questions about what to write or send or need additional information, please contact Pam McLerran at 770-977-7114 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org